Home Of The Vikings!
110 Oak Street E., P.O. Box 567
Frederic, WI 54837
The depot/museum is open on weekends and holidays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. The season begins Memorial Day weekend and continues through leaf season in October. Tour guides are on duty. If you would like a special tour, call 715-327-4892 or 715-327-4158 for arrangements.
HAVE A PIECE OF HISTORY?
We continue to seek railroad memorabilia and items as well as well as items and photos, newspapers and newspaper clippings from Frederic's past.
The depot was built in 1901 for the sum of $1,525.34. It was precut in the Soo Line shops in Minneapolis, hauled to Frederic by one of the early trains and assembled on site. An addition, which expanded the cold storage area of the depot, was added in 1912, the same year that the Soo Line Railroad extended tracks to Duluth, Minnesota. The addition cost $542.67. In 1949, rest rooms were added and in 1952, the outside was covered with imitation brick and a block foundation replaced the wood timbers in the original construction.
In 1901, when the first trains arrived from Dresser Junction, the track ended in Frederic. A spur ran from the main track to the Dahlberg and Lindmart Saw and Planing Mill, which was stationed on the north shore of Coon Lake. The spur closely followed the current Hope Street. The spur and the siding tracks made a Y shape that allowed trains arriving from Dresser Junction to turn around for the return trip. An engine house was located near the north end of the track approximately where Birch Street would intersect with the Gandy Dancer Trail if the street were extended. In the first years of the train, several trains a day arrived at Frederic to pick up loads of raw cut lumber as well as passengers, and departed south. At that time, there were few roads and those that were available resembled cow paths more than roads. Thus, travel into and out of the area was done by train and all freight that arrived in the area at that time came by way of the train.
P.O. Box 1/210 West Oak Street • Frederic, Wisconsin 54837 • 715-327-4892 • 715-327-4158
MISSION (in part): To give recognition to those who have developed this area and remind current and future generations that everyone and everything leaves permanent "FOOTPRINTS IN TIME."